Sunday 26 October 2008

Plum and Apple Crumble


Finally back to blogging after a little computer annoyance! Though, I am happy now that I have broadband. So much has happened over the past few weeks, many ups and downs, so in some ways it has probably been a blessing that I had no p.c. I don't know where to start, so I will start with a little autumn warming dessert recipe. I have tried this a few times over the past few weeks and its a bit of a winner in my home, so took a few photos of the creation.

With the price of food shooting through the roof, I am trying to be resourceful with what I can find in the garden. We have a glut of cooking apples and eating apples, therefore my recipe is for Apple and Plum Crumble. The plums are one of the few fruits which are quite cheap in the shops.

This is a dish that anybody can make, and even easier if you have a mini master chef with you to make the crumble.

Now, everyone wash your hands, pop on an apron and pay attention

Can serve 8 (or in my case 1)

8 fresh dark plums, cut in half and stones removed

8 cooking apples, fresh from the tree, or bottom of the tree

nutmeg

cinnamon stick

glass of red wine

4tbsp of caster sugar

FOR THE CRUMBLE

100g butter

100g brown sugar

200g plain flour


Pre-heat the oven to 200 c /gas mark 6

Saute the plums and apples with the butter for a few minutes. Add a teaspoon of nutmeg, the cinnamon stick, red wine, sugar and 50ml of water, then bring to the boil and simmer for about 8 minutes.


As the fruit breaks down to a thick, syrup like texture, place in an ovenproof dish. I am putting some in a large dish and some in a little individual dish (so I can take one to my mothers)

My son is always more than pleased to measure the ingredients, sift the flour and make the crumble.



Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
This is a before photo, just to show you how sweet the crumble is as an individual portion, in my 1970's dish I bought from a charity shop.


Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, before serving with custard, ice-cream or cream. I have opted for cream today. This is such a lovely comfort food and with the cinnamon and nutmeg, you have this glorious warm homely aroma wafting around the house, which make the dark early evenings seem a little cosier.

5 comments:

Kim Caro said...

wow you are a great baker! i want some see ya tomorrow for breakfast

Stacey said...

looks delicious!

Vicky x said...

Yum yum yum... delicious, economical, environmentally friendly (local produce and all that)... guess what I'm making tomorrow? Vicky x

TheresaJ said...

Hey MadBoo -- missed you!

Looks and sounds absolutely yummy. The measurements are a little unfamiliar for me, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

Oh, my goodness...YUM! Just the right time of year for a warm crumbly fruit type dessert. Thanks for this!