Sunday 3 August 2008

Foxy in the Garden


I went to the Lammas fayre in Eastbourne today ! Lammas comes from old English language , meaning "loaf mass." So it is similar to the harvest festival, a celebration of the earth,s bounty which traditionally was held at the time of the first corn crop. in Ireland it is known as Lughnassah, the name being derived from the Celtic sun god Lugh. It is one of the four Pagan Celtic Fire fire festivals which were adopted by the early catholic church, and have now been re-appropriated by the Modern Pagan movement. The aim of the fayre was to showcase local talented musicians, and dancers, groups of drummers, Morris dancers etc and raise money for the R.N.L.I. There was also a wonderful range of craft stalls with all things pagan and natural, so beautiful. Silly me forgot to take my camera! One of my friends was drumming and I so wish I had a photograph of her in her green jacket and evergreen accessories. Anyhow one of the craft stalls had these fabulous masks from Venice ( I cannot work out the link to Lammas) but they were fabulous, so I bought a few to embellish myself. I still think they look great plain as well.

7 comments:

Victoria said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, and the mask is very cool!

LazyTcrochet said...

Great masks! Those will be so fun to embellish. Stop by and visit and we can exchange blog links : )

Travel Turtle said...

i love the masks.

Muffin said...

That sounds like great fun! (this is FaeriedTreasures from Etsy) I wish there was more stuff like this where I live in the states. We have RenFaire, which is just an excuse to dress up and be sluttish. I hate that.

I love the masks!

kim* said...

That sounds pretty darn fun.

DJ said...

Sound like a great day, they don't have fun events like that where I live either.

Unknown said...

The masks have similar origins in early pagan festivals.